I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve wanted something different in my life. To be able to leave work at work when I come home at the end of a day. To let go of my controlling and perfectionist tendencies. To not want to want a glass of wine after a difficult day at the office. To simply have more moments-in-the-present with my loved ones.
On the surface, each of these seems doable/achievable.
I thought I could truly have any of these. But it took me a lot, LOT longer to make them happen. That’s because I was missing one key factor:
I didn’t believe it.
Because it’s one thing to think something is possible, but it’s another thing to truly believe it.
What I was actually believing is the same old collection of thoughts that was getting me the same old results: bad days at work, taking too long to complete notes, wanting nothing more than to do absolutely nothing that required much effort after a long day of work. And carrying around extra pounds thanks to resorting to a glass of wine or cocktail a few nights per week. Definitely not finding any extra time for workouts or deep conversations with loved ones.
I wasn’t aware of this at the time, but I imagine some of those old thoughts and beliefs included:
- It’s just going to keep getting harder and harder.
- I don’t have time/energy/patience to make any changes.
- There’s literally nothing else I’m qualified to do except practice medicine.
- If I stop practicing medicine/change jobs, it’s going to leave so many patients without care.
- Nobody supports my goal of making changes in my life.
- No one else can do it the way it’s supposed to be/the way I want it done.
It wasn’t until I learned how to build new beliefs that I finally understood how to produce the transformations I really wanted.
The thing is: in order to achieve or create something new, you’re going to have to develop a new belief. You’ll have to believe something new.
Maybe this rings true for you? If so, the first step is to decide on a new belief. You can chose your new belief from one of these areas:
- Believing something new about yourself (like letting go of labels you’ve taken on for yourself).
- Believing something new about what you can do (that you didn’t think you could do before)
- Believing something new about what’s possible in the world (that you took for granted as being permanent or unchangeable)
- Believing new things about the obstacles in your way.
It only takes one new belief to make a transformation in your life. Isn’t that amazing?!